Monday, March 5, 2012

Cheesy Bacon Hasbrown Bake (Worth a Try.)

Overview
Eggs, Potatoes, Cheese and lots of fresh veggies. Yum! Yum! Yum!

Recipe Source 
This recipe peaked my interest as I was digging through our freezer to see what I had to start the dinner meal planning for the week. Low and behold, I found a bag of frozen hash browns I visited the brand's website and found this tasty dish. http://www.oreida.com/recipes/recipe-detail.aspx?id=5918 I like breakfast for dinner. In fact one of my favorite breakfast for dinner stories was when I went with my husband (fiance at the time) to his parents home as they were packing up to move out of state. I had only met my soon to be in-laws a handful of times. We helped sort through, pack and get things ready to go. That night, my soon to be mum-in-law said, "for dinner we are having Huevos Rancheros; must clean out the refrigerator." It was fantastic, perhaps one of the best breakfast for dinner meals I can recall! Eggs always taste so much better when someone else makes them. After that meal, I knew I'd fit right in with this family!

Recipe
  • 2 cup Ore-Ida® Southern Style Hash Browns
  • Ore-Ida® Southern Style Hash Browns 8 slices Oscar Mayer bacon chopped (Meaty Version) or
  • 8 slices Vegetarian Bacon Strips (Veggie Version), available in grocer's frozen vegetarian section
  • 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 onion small, diced
  • 12 eggs
  • 1/3 cup Sour Cream
  • 1 cup Shredded Cheddar or small package American cheese slices
1. Heat oven to 350ºF

2. Cook and stir bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Remove from skillet, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Drain bacon on paper towels. Meanwhile, cook and stir hash browns and vegetables in drippings 10 min.

3. Spread vegetable mixture onto bottom of 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Whisk eggs and sour cream until blended; pour over vegetable mixture. Top with bacon and cheese

4. Bake 40 min. or until center is set and casserole is heated through.
Complete Protein= Bacon. Potatoes + Cheese. Sour Cream. (Meaty version)
Complete Protein=  Soy Bacon. Potatoes + Cheese. Sour Cream (Veggie version)

Tips 
  • Veggie Version- Cook veggie bacon according to package directions until crisp. Use olive oil instead of bacon grease to cook veggies and potatoes.
Possible Side- OJ and Toast!

Reviews
Veggie-  I am not hard to please when it comes to eggs, cheese, potatoes and veggies. This meal was a hit with me. I am especially happy that it contains loads of fresh veggies and protein. The recipe cooked perfectly according to directions. This was an accomplishment after the Veggie Quiche incident from a couple of weeks ago. I still shudder when I think of the consistency of that meal. For a good laugh read, Jiffy Mix Impossible Vegetable Quiche (Yuck.) 

Meaty- Meaty is not a fan of egg casseroles for dinner and this one was really no different, in his opinion, to any of the others that I have made. Meaty suggested that next time around I offer this meal at breakfast with blueberry muffins and he might be a little more open to it.

Baby-  Baby (18 months) keeps us guessing everyday. The first two times we offered this dish for dinner Baby wanted nothing to do with it. In fact, I think he takes after Meaty Daddy in the "no breakfast for dinner opinion." The following weekend I tromped downstairs to the kitchen to see Meaty Daddy offering Baby this dish for breakfast. He happily ate it calling, "Mmmmm...More.". Upon which, I served him another couple of bites. I did the same a few mornings later and he ate it right up. Moral of the story, unless your entire family favors breakfast for dinner, reserve this tasty recipe for breakfast and it will be a bigger hit.

Veggie, Meaty, Baby!  wants to hear from you. Please post comments as you try and customize these recipes to fit your family. Let me know how this dish turned out and what your family thought of this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment